There is one key element that defines the effectiveness of implementing competencies into a talent management system, and that is a strategic connection between business objectives and said competencies. Essentially: careful planning and shrewd strategizing.
To achieve this, ask yourself these questions:
- Do my HR functions share a common language?
- Are they organized to reinforce and compliment each other?
- Are presently established selection and training programs producing average or superior performers?
If you answered “no” to any of these questions, it may be time to rethink your organization’s talent management approach.
Achieving the right competency levels
Careful planning begins with determining the area(s) in which the organization has to be competent so as to better differentiate itself from the competition.
Then, you must assess the fields in which your employees need to be proficient – and efficient – if they are to support your organizational success. Those “achievements” that you seek in their profiles are where the competency levels are built and implemented.
The benefits of effective competencies within a talent management system are not only “nice-to-haves,” they are critical to your success. They include:
- Empowerment of your managers via an HR system that actively supports company goals
- Increased motivation of employees who are committed to corporate effectiveness as a means of self-improvement and individual success
- A process of corporate change that draws more willing participation from employees
- Enhanced competitiveness and resilience in the marketplace, made possible by smoother internal transitions
Real value means real talent
Again, implementing competencies should always focus on making a strategic connection between those competencies and the objectives of your organization. Without this, competency-based applications cannot hope to influence business results, or truly add real value to an organization.
You can learn more about the process of building a viable talent management system at this webpage.
©️2019, Workitect, Inc.