A Behavior-Based Assessment and Interviewing Process
Schedule An Onsite Workshop Tailored To Your Organization’s Needs
“Workitect Provided Useful Tools That Can Assist All Levels Of Managers.” Tom Bledsoe, Regional HR Manager, Quality Health Strategie
The Learning Objectives Of The Workshop Are To Help Participants:
- Understand the importance and impact of effective selection interviewing
- Learn how to use a Position Description and a Competency Selector to determine which competencies to assess in selection interviews
- Learn how to conduct Workitect’s Structured Event Assessment Interview (BCAI)
- Learn how to deal with problems encountered when interviewing (BCAI)
- Learn how to score the BCAI for competencies
- Learn how to compare candidates and make a selection decision
Who Should Attend
Executives, managers and team leaders in line or staff functions who are responsible for interviewing, assessing, and selecting internal or external candidates for positions.
The program will be particularly useful to participants from organizations with competency models in place or planned.
This one-day workshop teaches participants to use a competency-based process to conduct a structured behavioral interview and assess an individual’s competencies. This assessment process can also be used to collect data for developmental coaching and career counseling.
Interviewing For Competencies – One Day Agenda
To improve each person’s performance in terms of their position-specific competencies, and the organization’s overall performance against those competencies, through feedback, coaching and training.
8:30 AM Introduction
- What to select for
- Business purpose of selection; the cost of a bad selection decision
- Selection interviewing in the context of the selection process
- Research on what kinds of selection interviews are valid
Introduction To Competencies And Competency Models
Determining Selection Criteria
- Using a position description with the hiring manager
- Using a Competency Selector to identify competencies to assess
- Focusing on a manageable set of competencies to assess
Organizing The Selection Process
- Determining what to assess outside of interviews
- Preparing a selection interviewing plan
Introduction To Behavioral Interviewing
The Behavioral Competency Assessment Interview (BCAI)
- Overview of the Interview
- How to start an interview
- How to probe an event
- Practice interviews
- Managing problems in selection interviews
Scoring The BCAI
- Note taking guidelines
- Using a competency rating scale
Comparing Candidates And Making A Selection Decision
5:00 PM Adjourn
Meet The Instructors
Senior Consultant with thirty years of experience in management and executive development, training, human resources, and organization development. Formerly, held senior leadership positions with Ryder System, Inc. (Group Director-Organization Effectiveness and Human Resource Development), Pabst Brewing Company and Ryan Homes, Inc. Has extensive experience in developing competency based performance management, selection, assessment and management development processes. Is the lead instructor for Workitect’s Building Competency Models workshop. Master’s Degree in Management from the University of Southern California and Bachelor’s Degree in Finance from Western Michigan University.
Dr. Richard Mansfield
Senior Consultant with expertise in competency based job analysis, skills assessment, management development, selection, survey design and course development. Formerly was Director of Research for McBer & Company / Hay Group, Vice President of The Altwell Group, and Chairperson, Educational Psychology for Temple University. Ed.D degree in Human Development and A.B. degree in Social Relations from Harvard University. Co-authored the book “The Psychology of Creativity and Discovery” and has published numerous articles.
What Our Customers Say
“Excellent training for all levels of experience, from entry level to upper management. I’ve taken courses on recruitment and selection and this was an excellent condensed version.”
“How to hire for critical competencies can be learned in one day—this seminar was fabulous!”