Competency Dictionary (License)
Ensure that common skills and characteristics are always described with the same competency names. Create a framework for an integrated talent management system. One-time fee. No annual renewal fees.
NEW! Exclusively For Dictionary Licensees
Quick-Start Competency-Modeling Program
Use the dictionary to build a competency model now! Follow the process described in this self-instructional program drawn from our Building Competency Models certification workshop. Learn More.
Competency Model Templates
Customizable generic models for 12 positions. Learn More.
Discount On Building Competency Models Workshop Tuition Fee.
In This Format – By Job Level And Level Of Proficiency
(Examples: “Developing Others” & “Analytical Thinking”) – See Example
The Dictionary Can Be Used To Build Competency Models Like These
Competency Dictionary License Included With The Purchase Of These Products And Services
Core Competencies And Leadership Competencies
COMPETENCIES DEALING WITH
Providing Motivational Support
Attention To Communication
Building Collaborative Relationships
COMPETENCIES DEALING WITH
Diagnostic Information Gathering
COMPETENCIES DEALING WITH
Thirty-five competencies in five clusters with definitions, behaviors, and levels by position and proficiency (Spanish, French, German, and Italian versions are available with definitions and behaviors).
Purchased By These Organizations
Are you looking for a simple, flexible, easy-to-use, and less-costly alternative to HRSG, Korn Ferry, SuccessFactors, and Cornerstone? Check out our competency dictionary and interview guides package. These organizations did, and choose Workitect:
Bob Barker Company
Blue Cross Blue Shield of AL
Blue Cross Blue Shield of MA
State of California
Central Bank of Belize
Central Pacific Bank
Chicago Transit Authority
The Dairy Farm Company Ltd. (Hong Kong)
ENSTAR Natural Gas
First Commonwealth Financial
General Board of Pension and Health Benefits
Gulf Investment Corporation (Kuwait)
International Capital Trading LLC
Keryx Biopharmaceuticals, Inc.
KIK Custom Products
City of Las Vegas
Legal and General America
Legumex Walker Canada
Mary Kay Inc.
Matthews International Capital Management, LLC
Meat & Livestock Australia Limited
Diocese of Metuchen (NJ)
Missouri Employees Mutual
Oman Oil Refineries and Petroleum Industries
Otter Tail Corporation
Pension Benefit and Guarantee Corporation
Phoenix Contact, Inc.
St. Johns River Water Management District
S&C Electric Company
S&D Coffee & Tea, Inc.
Security Finance Corporation
Charles Schwab Corporation
Airports Authority of Trinidad and Tobago
Volume 9, Inc.
Western Health Advantage
City of West Palm Beach
Yoco Technologies (South Africa)
Advantages Of This Dictionary
Comprehensive, But Simplified
In language that is easy for everyone to understand.
Here are a few examples of applications you can create:
- Create competency models for your organization,
- Modify competency definitions to fit your corporate culture and business needs,
- Integrate the competencies and definitions into your interview tools (or use our Competency Interview Guides that are included with the dictionary),
- Create competency-based job profiles and descriptions,
- Load competencies and development options (listed in our Competency Development Guide) into your performance management or talent management system,
- Include competencies and definitions in performance reviews,
- Include assessment of competencies in succession planning process.
An intellectual property license gives you the freedom and flexibility to copy and modify the content for use within your organization. You’ll save, time and money and have the confidence that your work products are based on tested, research-based content.
This is not a packed software program. It is intellectual property content that you can use in any way you choose, and integrate into your own HRIS or one you that purchase.
One-time fee, with no annual renewal fees. The fee is calculated based on the number of employees in an organization who will be covered by HR processes that contain Workitect competencies. This often excludes hourly-rated employees.
1. Format – In What Format Will The Dictionary Be Available?
It will be provided in a Word document, Excel spreadsheet, PDF, and online on a web page accessible with a password.
2. Build Our Own – Can We Create Our Own Dictionary Rather Than Purchasing A Generic One?
You can. But it will cost your organization a lot of time and money to replicate one like ours that is based on over 30 years of research and practical experience in building models. You can buy ours and customize it to reflect your organization’s culture, language, and performance expectations.
3. Off-The-Shelf Models – Can We Buy Off-The-Shelf Competency Models And Avoid Purchasing A Dictionary? Don’t Jobs With The Same Title Require Pretty Much The Same Competencies In All Organizations?
Each organization has its own culture and “way of doing business”. Even for jobs with identical titles, job success in one organization will require some competencies that are different in another organization. Even a small difference could be critical, which is why we only build custom models or teach internal consultants how to build their own models.
4. Technical Competencies – How Can Technical Or Functional Competencies Be Included In Competency Models?
These competencies can be determined through interviews and expert panels that are conducted as part of the model building process. The identified competencies can then be listed under the Technical Expertise (#21) competency in our dictionary.
5. Certification – Do We Have To Be “Certified” To Use The Workitect Dictionary?
No. But, satisfactory completion of our Building Competency Models workshop is strongly recommended for anyone interested in acquiring an intellectual property license for our Competency Dictionary. Completion of the workshop ensures that use of the Dictionary is built on a research foundation, applied practice, and the knowledge to effectively implement a competency-based human resource system in your organization.
6. Combine With Another Dictionary – Can We Integrate The Dictionary With Another One We Have Purchased From A Different Provider?
Yes. You can customize our dictionary and create a “derivative” that combines our competencies with ones you have created and ones in other dictionaries.
7. Upload Into HR System – Can The Workitect Competency Dictionary Be Uploaded Into A Talent Management Or Human Resource Management System?
Yes. You can have the competencies uploaded into any system, such as those offered by SAP or Halogen. Our competency dictionary has been pre-loaded into Halogen’s system.
8. Updates – Will The Dictionary Be Periodically Updated With New Or Revised Competencies? Will We Be Charged For The Updates?
Updates will be made no more than once a year. The most recent update was made three years after the previous update. Each update will cost $500.
Integrate into your HCM system
The content of the Competency Dictionary can be customized and integrated into the talent management, human capital management, and human resources management software provided by Workday, ADP, SAP Success Factors, SABA Halogen, Cornerstone, and others.
What Our Customers Say
“I’ve seen many overly complicated systems. This is a more simplified competency dictionary.”