Creating Technical Competencies - 1 Day Agenda
8:00 AM Pre-Workshop Refresher (Optional)
Review of Workitect’s six-step model building process - For participants who have attended Workitect’s Building Competency Models workshop, but need a “refresher”, and for those who have not attended the workshop and have little or no experience building competency models.
8:30 AM Introduction, Overview, Review of Agenda
Why identify technical and professional (functional) competencies?
- What is the potential value to the organization and to HR & L&D? In what ways can technical competencies be used?
Criteria for a good set of technical competencies for a department
- How many to have, how easy to assess, and do they facilitate intended HR applications?
10:00 AM Break
10:15 AM Conceptual Framework
A conceptual framework for thinking about technical competencies: knowledge areas, technical skills, narrow and broad, levels for technical competencies.
Writing Technical Competencies
- Review a sample competency and a sample set of technical competencies for a department and for a job.
- Practice writing definitions and levels for a familiar knowledge area and for a familiar technical skill area.
12:00 PM Lunch
1:00 PM Writing Technical Competencies - continued
Data Collection Tools
- Process guide for working with SMEs to identify competencies for an area and definitions for levels for each competency.
- Interview guide for Technical Job Requirements Interview for use with jobholder or managers of jobholders to identify technical job requirements.
- Process guide for facilitating a discussion with a department’s management and SMEs to map technical competency requirements to jobs.
- Practice in pairs interviewing a SME, with each participant as an SME in his/her own department.
3:00 PM Break
3:15 PM Technical Job Analysis Interview
Practice conducting the Technical Job Analysis Interview with each participant as a jobholder in same department.
- A process for facilitating a meeting of management and SMEs to map a set of technical competencies to the jobs in a department.
- Participants practice mapping technical competencies to the jobs.
- Developing assessment tools and processes for technical competencies.
5:00 PM Adjourn