Build Better Job Competency Models and HR Applications
March 30 & 31, 2017
Overall Reaction to the Program.
(57 participant reviews)
Program Fee -
Save $270 (12%)
Build Your Own Competency Models
Program Sequence & Agenda
Day 1 - March 30
- Primary data collection methods
- Conduct Job Analysis Interviews
- Facilitate Resource/Expert Panels
- Conduct structured Behavioral Event Interviews
- Secondary data collection methods
- Data gathering exercises
Data Analysis and Coding
- General approach for analyzing data
- Analyzing data from job analysis interviews
- Analyzing data from structured event interviews
- Analyze and Integrate data from all sources
- Target data exercise
- Coding exercise using Coding Workbook
Day Two - March 31
Building the Competency Model
- Working within a framework of core competencies
- Select a set of 8-15 competencies
- Create behavioral indicators
- Group competencies within clusters
- Prepare draft of model
- Review with sponsors and key stakeholders
Developing Competency-Based Applications
- Assessment and selection
- raining and development
- Leadership development
- Performance management
- Succession planning and talent management
- Complimentary resources and tools
March 23 (1:00-3:00 PM EDT)
What are Competencies and Competency Models?
- Research and background
- Criteria for a good competency model
- Value and benefits of job competency models
- Integrating HR and talent management applications
- Six-step process for building competency models
March 24 (1:00-3:00 PM EDT)
Planning and Launching a Model-Building Project
- Conceptualizing the Project
- Determining the business need
- Communicate and gain support for the project
- Structuring the project plan
- Complete a Planning Worksheet
Who Should Attend
Human resource and talent management professionals, and anyone who wants to leverage an organization's human resources to add value and increase profits.
This workshop gives participants a to developing their own competency models without external assistance.
As a result of attending this workshop, participants will be able to:
- Plan a competency modeling project
- Communicate and gain support for the project
- Chose from alternative methods for building single competency models and one-size-fits-all models
- Build models for multiple jobs in an organization
- Use resource panels to collect data
- Conduct structured key event interviews
- Analyze and code interview transcripts, and write job models
- Develop HR applications for talent management, assessment, selection, succession planning, development, and performance management
- Use Workitect’s licensed competency dictionary (purchased separately)
"This workshop provided me with a concise and thorough process to develop a Competency model. And in addition, tools are provided for each component in the model, including tools to apply the new model. The program is great!" Maritza Zaenger, V.P., H.R. Cole-Parmer & Field Operations, Thermo Fisher Scientific
Overview of the Program
Module 1 – Conceptualizing the Project
Business need and need of the sponsor. Developing an approach - single job model, one-size-fits-all, or multiple jobs. Gaining the sponsors support.
Module 2 – Project Planning
Stakeholder analysis. Structure of the project plan. Complete project planning worksheet on own project. (Revisit and update after Module 5, review and receive feedback and advice from consultant instructor).
Module 3 – Data Collection
Data collection tasks. Primary data collection methods - job analysis, key event interviews, resource panel. Secondary data collection methods. Complete data gathering exercises.
Module 4 - Data Analysis and Coding
Analyzing data from job analysis and structured event interviews. Integrating data from all sources. Target data exercise. Coding exercise. Analyzing data from resource panels.
Module 5 - Building the Competency Model
Select a set of competencies. Using a generic competency dictionary. Create behavioral indicators. Identify clusters. Prepare draft of model. Review with sponsors.
Module 6 - Developing Applications
Talent Management. Training and Development. Assessment and Selection. Performance Management. Succession Planning. Other - Compensation, Culture Change.
Receive Individual Consulting Help in Workshop
Each participant has an opportunity to review his/her back home project plan, implementation plan, challenges, issues, etc. and receive consulting help from a Workitect consultant/instructor during or after the workshop.
Meet the Instructors
Senior Consultant with thirty years of experience in management and executive development, training, human resources, and organization development. Formerly, held senior leadership positions with Ryder System, Inc. (Group Director-Organization Effectiveness and Human Resource Development), Pabst Brewing Company and Ryan Homes, Inc. Has extensive experience in developing competency based performance management, selection, assessment and management development processes. Is the lead instructor for Workitect’s Building Competency Models workshop. Master’s Degree in Management from the University of Southern California and Bachelor’s Degree in Finance from Western Michigan University.
Dr. Richard Mansfield
Senior Consultant with expertise in competency based job analysis, skills assessment, management development, selection, survey design and course development. Formerly was Director of Research for McBer & Company / Hay Group, Vice President of The Altwell Group, and Chairperson, Educational Psychology for Temple University. Ed.D degree in Human Development and A.B. degree in Social Relations from Harvard University. Co-authored the book "The Psychology of Creativity and Discovery" and has published numerous articles.
Program Fee -
(10% discount for multiple registrations)
To speak with a consultant (not a sales rep) about an on-site program that can be tailored to your needs:
Call 800-870-9490 ext.2, complete this contact form,
or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
“Competency modeling is an essential process for all organizations. After completing this workshop, I feel well equipped with the knowledge and skills to help communicate, develop, and implement competency models for our organization.”
D&L/HR Manager – Health Care
“Richard is very knowledgeable and has an engaging style. Exceptional Training!”
Director, Organization Development & Learning, Hospital
“After participating in Workitect’s Competency Modeling Workshop, I know that I can go back to the job and implement the process with competence and confidence.”
Learning and Development, Retail Real Estate