Job Competency Model “Lite”.
Using a Virtual Resource Panel.
Apply the data to the development of a complete model.
This is an abridged competency model using a virtual resource panel and surveys to use when it is impractical to convene a standard resource panel of job incumbents, managers of job incumbents and other subject matter experts in one geographic location and at one time.
Data is collected and analyzed by a Workitect consultant who provides a summary and recommendations based on data about the job, obtained through a virtual resource/expert panel (VRP), i.e. an on-line, web-based survey containing open-ended questions and questions requiring ratings.
- Improve an existing model
- Build a model for a particular job or class of jobs that have similar tasks and competencies
- Use when it is impractical to convene a standard resource panel of job incumbents, managers of job incumbents and other subject matter experts in one geographic location and at one time
- A verbatim printout of all responses to all questions on the survey
- A summary of the responses, including identification and tabulation of key themes in response to qualitative questions, tabulation of average ratings on all quantitative questions, and suggested competencies for a draft competency model.
- Suggested non-technical generic competencies for the target job taken from Workitect’s Competency Dictionary. Any technical competencies that are identified are based on language used by panel members in their responses to questions about technical skill/knowledge requirements.
- Requires less time and cost to complete
- Collect data from geographically dispersed participants
- Apply the data to the development of a complete model
- The Virtual Resource Panel Respondents
- Main Responsibilities for the Job
- Performance Criteria and Measures
- Technical Skill Requirements
- Trends in Technology, Industry, and the Company
- Average Importance Ratings for Generic Competencies
- Generic Competencies Ranked by Importance Rating
- Relationship of Main Responsibilities to Generic Competencies
- Competencies Recommended for Inclusion in the Competency Model
- Most Challenging Aspects of the Job
- Definitions and Behaviors for the Generic Competencies
- Main Responsibilities
How it Works
As an alternative to a standard Resource Panel, this virtual resource panel is an on-line survey allows panel members to provide the same information that they would in a standard session, but individually and at their own convenience and in their own work location. Participants are sent an email with a link to the survey set up in Survey Monkey.
Participants copy the survey link for their project into their internet browser and take about 30 minutes to complete the survey. A consultant downloads the survey responses, reviews and analyzes them, and prepares a synthesis based on themes mentioned by multiple panel members. It may be useful to set the stage for a Virtual Resource Panel by holding a conference call with the participants to explain and sell the project. Later, a second conference call can be held to review the synthesis of the panel members’ input.
Contact us for more information.
Learn more about competencies and competency models.