In a previous blog, we discussed the value of tailoring job competency models to an organization’s vision, mission, and shared values.
– The job duties of a position may differ by industry or business strategy, thus requiring different competencies for similar jobs.
– Tailored models permit an organization to imbed certain competencies in each model that reflect the vision, mission and shared values of the organization.
Companies that build their own models and external consultants who build models use a variety of formats. Effective models are written in a way to be easily understood by all users, in language that is used by the organization.
Most models developed by Workitect consultants include these sections:
- Overview of the Competencies by Cluster
- Definition and Behavioral Indicators of each Competency
- Overview of Most Important Responsibilities
- Major Responsibilities and Performance Measures
- Links between Responsibilities and Competencies
- Technical and Knowledge Requirements
- Future Scan – Potential Changes Affecting the Job in the Future
- Recommendations on ensuring that incumbents have each competency, through selection, development, and/or training
This is an example of an Overview of the Competencies by Cluster
EXAMPLES of CUSTOMIZED COMPETENCY MODELS
RELATED WORKITECT BLOGS